Snuggle up with this warming mulled wine recipe
22 Dec 2016
There’s nothing better than coming in out of the cold and catching the scent of spiced mulled wine drifting in from the kitchen. It may have complex and rich flavours but it is one of the easiest Christmas-time favourites to make. Here’s how:
- 1 bottle of your favourite red wine (we like merlot)
- 1 orange, clementine or Satsuma
- 50g brown sugar
- 1 dried bayleaf
- 2 star anise
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- A tot of brandy or sloe gin for some kick (optional)
Pour the wine into a large saucepan, add the orange, sugar, bayleaf, star anise, cloves and cinnamon.
- Slice the orange into medium-sized pieces.
- Heat gently, being careful not to boil it, until all the sugar has dissolved. Taste the wine to check sweetness, add more sugar if necessary and to taste.
- Take the wine off the heat and if using, add your sloe gin or brandy.
- Pour and enjoy!