• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Twitter

Llanthony Priory

The Augustinian priory of Llanthony Secunda in Gloucester was founded in 1136 as a cell of the mother church, Llanthony Prima, at Llanthony in Monmouthshire.

At the time the Welsh borders were in turmoil and the prior and canons required a refuge, but when peace returned successive priors remained in Gloucester and Llanthony Secunda flourished, eventually absorbing its impoverished Welsh parent in 1481.