Creating the perfect pancake
09 Feb 2016
With Pancake Day just around the corner it's time to turn your attention to serving up the very perfect pancake. The secret is simple: a smooth batter and a great non-stick pan.
Every good cook knows the importance of a really great non-stick pan, and never does one come into it’s own more than on pancake day when everyone is striving for the perfect flip. If you don't have a non-stick frying pan in your kitchen arsenal then pick one up from Home & Cook, the official store for Tefal.
Then it’s on to the pancake batter. Make sure you use only the freshest milk and free-range eggs for the best taste and texture.
You will need:
- 100g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 300ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 tbsp vegtable oil
- pinch of salt
- Combine all your dry ingredients in a bowl, and make a well in the centre.
- Mix half the milk with the eggs and oil and pour into the well of dry ingredients.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the wet, starting from the centre.
- When the mixture is fully incorporated, slowly pour in the remaining milk mixing as you go. The batter is ready when you have a thick paste.
- Heat a non-stick pan and ladle in a small amount of batter so it covers the surface of the pan. When you see bubbles, give the pan a little shake and attempt to flip in the air. Your pancake should be golden brown when it’s ready.
Now for the toppings (the best part)! If you’re feeling more adventurous than lemon and sugar here is a collection of our unusual sweet and savoury favourites:
- Choc chips, peanut butter and banana
- Lemon curd and mascarpone
- Banana and banoffee sauce (warm)
- Blueberries and whipped cream
- Broken salted pretzels and vanilla ice cream
- Melted cheese and spring onion
- Egg and bacon
- Goats cheese and broccoli