Highnam Court Gardens
Highnam Court was built in 1658 after the original house was seriously damaged in the Civil War. It is one of the few houses built during the Commonwealth period. The design of the houses is linked to Ernest Carter who was a pupil of Inigo Jones.
The Highnam Estate was bought in 1838 by Thomas Gambier Parry, who was an accomplished artist, musician and art collector. This talented painter is also responsible for the magnificent frescoes in Highnam Church. He started to layout his garden in 1840, and by 1874 it rivalled any in the UK. Unfortunately since the turn of the last century almost nothing had been done in the gardens. Consequently when the process of restoration started in 1994 the gardens were totally overgrown.
During the last 13 years, since Roger Head has been the owner, the gardens have been totally and lovingly restored to their former glory, with many new additions being made to compliment and enhance the original design. Highnam Court is now a privately owned family home. The Gardens are open for special events throughout the year and for group visits.
Telephone: 01684 292875
Additional Information01/03/2012 - 30/09/2012
Mon - Fri: 9am - 5pm
*Highnam Court gardens are open for private week-day visits during the months of March through to September each year. To book a visit please contact Jane Bruton.